Family isn't accepting the guy I want to be with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family isn't accepting the guy I want to be with

Belonging to a well settled and super-rich family sometimes it gets tough to make your parents understand that dating a guy from a middle class family is not that big of a deal. I’m not a gold digger nor am I into lavishes but my family is just so against the fact that I am with a guy who is not from the same financial status that it upsets me. I want to convince them and I want to know how that can be done.

Woah that’s a real tough one. Parents are always hard to convince, no? Whether you wanted that bat when you were five to your problem, they always take time because they feel insecure. They’ll understand slowly n gradually.

Comment

If your man is a decent working guy and works a real job then your parents would definitely understand but if he’s a highschool dropout who likes to hangout with the bunkers gang then you should even think about it?

Comment

Wtf is wrong with a college dropout or someone who drives around in a bike? Hear yourself guys.

Comment

I think being with someone or marrying someone is a decision that should be yours and no one else’s. Parents do have a role to play but it’s not like that they should determine children’s life partners. Only you can know who to spend your life with and who you will be happy with. You can try convincing him but if they don’t agree then you should be a little more serious and make the message clear that its your life and I think that’s only fair.

Comment

Why do they have to intervene anyway? Your life, your goals. Totally agreed that u shud not hold down and instead take a decision all by yourself.

Comment

I think its common practice with well established families to get their children tied up with the same financial and social status because they have a certain reputation to uphold in the community. I wouldn’t say that they are entirely wrong but again, if you think you can manage yourself well with someone from a lower financial status then I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t go ahead and decide to be with him for the rest of your life. Or maybe, you can help him elevate his status or ask him to prove it to your parents somehow. This could also offend him so make sure u talk to him through completely and rule out all misunderstandings.

Comment

Lmao Belle, that’s really stupid what you’re suggesting. Asking him to prove is basically telling him that you aren’t good enough now, you gotta be better to impress my parents. I would dump such a girl right away and move towards someone who would accept me the way I am. I fall in the middle class category too and I work two jobs, working day and night. Its not our fault that we were not born into rich families and if you can’t accept that fact then no one needs you too. I really appreciate that you aint the gold digger type and you want to keep dating this guy despite your parents disliking and you should carry that on.

Comment

For all of you who are bashing her parents, I am a mother of two and I am divorced. I wouldn’t want my children to end up like so I would do anything in my power to keep them from any such mishappenings. Parents always want the best for their children so don’t blame them if sometimes they act protective. I respect that the girl has her decisions but it doesn’t mean that you completely disregard the parents and do not respect their opinions. Being a mother, I can’t think of one good reason why they wouldnt want the best for their daughter?

Comment

Just because a man or a woman does not come from the "rich" class does not mean they are not bad or lazy. In fact I bet those type of people are richer in other ways in certain areas and probably a whole lot more happier too. I think a person who donates more time then money is the richer person. So what if your parents disown/disavow you, do what makes you happy. Be your own woman and not what your parents want you to be.
                    Last edited by hardasnail; 05-16-2018, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Clitcomander
                      Clitcomander commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You are right, some rich people always looks at the money or the status which shouldn't be. I hope they will have their eyes open soon.

This is when parents really gets controlling. Maybe they just want you to have a secured future, but ending up with a man with the same status as yours is not the answer. The best way to convince your parents is to allow them to know the guy more.

Comment

I think your man should double his efforts for your parents to eventually like him and earn their favor. Talk to your [parents too.

Comment

• DilDoDabbins
                        DilDoDabbins commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, I think Its time for his man to do something.

• meowmeowbark
                        meowmeowbark commented
                        Editing a comment
                        but the parents have to try as well

Maybe your parents can still change their minds about your guy. Figure out the things you can do for that to happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X