My partner proposed me for marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My partner proposed me for marriage

I am dating this guy for about six months and all of a sudden he pops up the question of marriage. He knows I am a career driven woman and that marriage is not an option for me anytime soon but somehow he is very persistent that we should seal the deal as quickly as possible. Why is he doing this and how can I tell him no without being rude? I don’t want to leave him but I also don’t want to get married anytime soon. Would saying let`s just get engaged instead of tying the knot right now a bad idea? I mean we are living together, engagement is better than getting married.

Don’t be so ungrateful about it and answer him before he runs away and u regret for the rest of ur life.

Comment

Maybe he just wants to know if you are interested in the idea entirely or not. Sometimes guys do that because they believe that the girl might not marry at all. This of course happens the other way round as well. The idea of engagement should reassure him that you are not running away from marriage but you just need to find the suitable time before you tie the knot. He also needs to understand that marriage isnt an easy decision and takes a lot of thinking before getting into it. Often when people rush into it, it either results in a divorce or one of the partner living in dismay and what not so whatever your decision is, it should be with mutual consent and proper thinking. Good luck with your life!

Comment

From what I understand, if he is willing to marry you, then he should be able to understand you as well. If you want time and you do not want to get into it right now then you should tell him without any hesitation and he will understand because career is one of the major reasons why people do not want to get married. They settle down in their professions and only then. If you’re already living together, what’s the real issue then. Engagement I believe is a rather unnecessary sort of a commitment that doesn’t really guarantee anything if you’re already living together.

Comment

Delaying marriage is never a good idea. Once you get married you always get mature. I got married 4 years ago and I was always worried that it would hamper my progress as a professor because I wanted to keep studying as well. My husband started supporting me in that venture and never asked me to do stop anything for our personal life. I think you should really give it a thought because you can always keep working on your professional life and if he gives you the space to do it now, what reason would he have to keep you from doing it after marriage?

Comment

I agree that he should be more understanding. Professional life is a huge point in one’s life and if your career driven then domestic chores and what not can always cause instability. Engagement is a wonderful way to keep it formal and yet minimal. If he wants reassurance, which is nothing wrong btw, then get engaged and ask him for a couple of years time to let you get into it. Sometimes couples get married a little too quickly and then realize they’re incompatible and subsequently, file for a divorce. Engagement can prevent all of that and save a lot of your time as well.

Comment

Ya think its aright to fuck him but not marry him? Argh, women! Whats wrong? When guys don’t ask you out, you always wonder why is he not asking me out, is he even interested and when one finally puts all his working together and grows the balls to ask you out you tell him that you’re career driven and what not. Wth.

Comment

I feel sorry for all the poor men who go through this. I asked my girlfriend out and she couldn’t marry me because her parents wouldn’t agree. I told her that it’s her life and all but after 4 years of our relationship she didn’t try for us because she didn’t want to hurt her parents. I thought that was really selfish of her. Do you guys think that it was selfish or did she do the right thing?In your case, it’s the career so career driven people usually run away from marriage. I suggest you tell the guy what your intentions are and not leave him hoping that one day you will be his bride so that he can move on with his life quickly. Otherwise it gets really tough. A rejected marriage proposal has drastic effects on you.

Comment

Working...
                X